Hey Lovelies, *Confession Time*… this was not actually meant to be a Blog Post, But taking into account all the attention these pics have received from my Facebook posts, I thought why not blog it out to all my readers and dear Blogger friends.
Kindly note the pics are not of the best quality as they were haphazardly taken during preps for a recent Braai(Barbecue) at my home in South Africa. So we had a few family members over and since we had missed this Truly South African tradition, there was no better time than present before we go back to Bahrain, Good food and great company is always a winner.
With the festive season upon us, many of you would be entertaining a lot more, and I hope that you give these salad ideas a go at your next meal/Braai. Not like my normal blog posts, here I will add a description/recipe below each pic. I do hope you give some of these a try and look forward to your feedback.
Happy Salad Making
Salad 1 at weekend Braai…
Served this at the Braai this weekend, regular Salad with Lettuce, Chopped onions and Peppers making up the centre, and thin cucumber slices used “petal” in the Grated carrots. Added a few thin strips of Tomatoes in between. Inspired by a pic that I had seen floating about. Pretty much similar in look, even though I had not had a veggie slicer here in SA?.
Salad 2 at weekend Braai…
Beetroot and Feta Salad with chunky Green salad leaves and chopped tomatoes.
For the Beetroot and Feta Salad(Foodeva Marsay)
simply use slices of pickled Beetroot (store bought) OR you could boil and make you own, half a red onion halved and sliced thinly,lightly toss this with a light seasoning of salt and pepper, Layer these onto a platter and top with cubed Feta. Serve with a simple vinaigrette/Salad dressing on the side. ENJOY (Foodeva Marsay?)
Mediterranean Couscous Salad (From Blog Here)
Author : Foodeva Marsay/Marriam S
HOW TO MAKE:
1 Cup Couscous
1 and 1/2 Cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon melted butter
boil water and add to couscous, season with salt and add melted butter,
Cover this for 20 minutes or until allow liquid is absorbed by the Couscous.
gently fluff up the couscous granules with a fork
Plate onto a serving platter
Sliced Cucumbers, Cherry Tomatoes, Chopped Pepper, Feta Cheese(quantities as preferred)
And also (optional)
1 Can of Chickpeas
Drizzle with Salad Dressing, whisked up with:
1/4 cup Greek Salad Dressing
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped/crushed Garlic
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Dash of Salt and Pepper
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
Serve topped with chopped Fresh Coriander and a serving of Greek ‘Salad Dressing’ Chicken.
And lastly Salad 4…No braai is ever complete without a Good Old Potato Salad, below is my version of this household favourite.
Good Old Potato Salad
Author: Foodeva Marsay
4 – 5 large potatoes
• Peel, Cube into large cubes and boil until tender in salted water.
• when done strain excess water and add to a large enough dish to mix rest of ingredients in.
2 Extra Large Eggs
• Boil for approximately 10 minutes
• when done grate the eggs using a fine side of a grater/zester
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise (less or more according to preference, I used a lite version)
1/2 a red onion finely chopped
1 Tablespoon Chopped fresh Parsley/Coriander
Chopped Jalapeño (Optional)
● Add all ingredients, But just Half the Grated Eggs, to a large dish, And gently mix through so all the Mayonnaise is absorbed.
● I usually add a little more Mayonnaise as the potatoes tend to “absorb” a lot of it while resting. We don’t want too dry a Potato Salad.
● season well with salt and ground black pepper.
● Serve topped onto a platter, and add the other half of the Grated boiled eggs on top. Deco the sides of potato salad platter with leafy greens to add colour.
● Another grind of Black Pepper right on top and little more chopped Parsley finishes of this salad?
● Serve at room temperature.